Oakland Area Council Patch (c 1950)
San Francisco Bay Area Council History
B
S
A
B
S
A
Home. Oakland Area Council. San Francisco Council. San Francisco Bay Area Council. Order of the Arrow. Miscellaneous. About Us / Comments.
SFBAC Home
Los Mochos Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1945 - Present) Camp Loomer Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1957 - 1973) Wente Scout Reservation Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1959 - Present) Camp Dimond-O Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1926 - 1978) Camp Dimond Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1919 - 1949)
TC
San Francisco Training Camp symbol, San Francisco Council (1917 - 1924)
M
Camp Moore symbol, San Francisco Council (1938 - 1951)
L
Camp Lilienthal Symbol (Fairfax location), San Francisco Council (1928 - 1973) R Camp Royaneh symbol, San Francisco Council (1925 - Present) Camp Lilenthal Symbol, San Francisco Council (1919-1925)
L
Camp Lilienthal (Stern Grove location) Symbol, San Francisco Council (1919 - 1925)
BACK
NEXT
Boy Scouts of America, San Francisco Bay Area Council • 1001 Davis Street, San Leandro, CA 94577-1514, (510) 577-9000  |  Contact Webmaster
Boy Scouts of America, San Francisco Bay Area Council • 1001 Davis Street, San Leandro, CA 94577-1514, (510) 577-9000

Timeline

Description

1922, 01/26

Dimond-O, Homer Bemiss indicates Sierra Mountain Camp will be a reality

1925, 08/03

Special two week session is held at sierra mountain camp (Dimond-O), 8/3-8/16

1925, 10/23

Former logging camp property of Peach Tree Growers association is made available to Scouts

1925, 11/03

The Oakland Council approves the purchase all the buildings and cabins from the United Commercial Company of San Francisco for $3800 to create Dimond-O

1926 – 1929

Original makeshift dam at Dimond-O was made of sand sacks placed across the river. The sacks would remain in place until the spring when the gang would pull the sand bags out to beat the spring floods.

1926, 01/12

Dimond-O, land is leased from forest Service on a special use permit on lumber land from the former Peach and Fig Growers Assoc.  69 building originally on site

1926, 04/11

New summer camp in Sierras officially named Dimond-O (Outpost)

1926, 07/26

Rev. RC Waddell named chaplain for first summer at Dimond-O

1926, 08/01

First summer use of Dimond-O totaled 79 scouts and 22 leaders.  At first Dimond-O was only open to veterans of Camp Dimond.

1928, 08/01

First Eagles Flight in the high sierras is held (c 1928 – 1930).  This was the special hike open only to Eagle Scouts

1930

Frontiersmen Treks start at Camp (c1930 – 1944)

1931, 10/20

Permanent concrete dam is built at Dimond-O to replace the temporary sand bag dam.  Wooden slats were used to raise and lower the level of the swimming hole.  The swimming hole averaged 6 feet deep and sloped from 4/12 feet to 9 feet.

1932

Dimond-O was opened to all scouts and dropped the requirement that you must be a veteran of Camp Dimond in order to attend.  To qualify though a Scout must prove he can campout for two nights and a day and cook all his own meals.

1934, 09/01

Annual Scouters Moot at Dimond-O

1935, 09/03

Dimond-O, mess hall burns down after fire starts in kitchen during the Scouters Moot weekend

1936, 05/08

Rebuilding of the mess hall at Dimond-O takes place as a work party breaks ground on the new dinning hall and kitchen. Cost was $12,500

1938, 05/01

Oakland Rotary Club donates money and materials to build the first aid station at Dimond-O

1939, 05/21

Dimond T at Dimond-O is organized for troops that wanted wilderness camping.  T stood for Troop, phase out around 1950

1940, 07/07

Miwok is the name chosen as the tribe of Indians at Dimond-O.  The following year it turns into Miwok Training which last 39 years until 1979.

1947, 06/01

Family Camp area is developed at Dimond-O for families of the volunteer leaders.

1956

The Long barn, which was previously used as a trading post and storage was torn down due to poor condition.

1958

Permission asked for old buildings at Dimond-o to be demolished due to being unsafe.  Buildings to be replaced by tent campsites.

1958

Dinning hall renovated, family service building finished, 50 troop tents purchased for the troop area

1958, 05/01

Council requested additional acreage from Stanislaus national forest for D-O.  An additional 80 acres was granted in May of 1958.

1959

Fourteen new campsites added. Jamboree style cooking added.

1959, 06/14

Dimond-O, additional 80 acres of land is leased from the forest service.  Fred W Taylor Trust of $20K was slated for a dormitory and clubhouse. Properties committee decided against that and instead completed with more than a mile of water lines laid and sanitation facilities of wash racks and toilets.  

1960

Oakland board discusses installing a Swimming pool due to the cold waters of the Tuolumne

1968, 06/01

New 10 position rifle range at Dimond-O is completed by Scouters from Mission Peak and Twin Valley districts

1971, 08/15

New Health Lodge is dedicated to the memory of Dr. Lum to honor his memory.  Dr. Lum spent 15 summers at Dimond-O ministering to the medical needs of the Scouts.

1978

Dimond-O, Closes forever after end of camping season after 52 years

1979

Final Miwok Training is held, ending almost 40 years of leadership training

1979, 02/01

Article in Scouter indicates that Dimond-O will not reopen for Scout Camp

1981, 08/17

Dinning hall structure is dismantled after almost 50 years of use

1983

Dimond-O, Lease ends officially returning property to the US Forest Service













Dimond-O
Timeline
1926 - 1979
Fun Facts Dimond-O Leather Patch (c 1933), Image courtesy of the Adam Lombard Collection