San Francisco Council Patch, (c 1950)
San Francisco Bay Area Council History
B
S
A
B
S
A
Home. Oakland Area Council. San Francisco Council. San Francisco Bay Area Council. Order of the Arrow. Miscellaneous. About Us / Comments. SFBAC Home Los Mochos Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1945 - Present) Camp Loomer Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1957 - 1973) Wente Scout Reservation Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1959 - Present) Camp Dimond-O Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1926 - 1978) Camp Dimond Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1919 - 1949) TC San Francisco Training Camp symbol, San Francisco Council (1917 - 1924) M Camp Moore symbol, San Francisco Council (1938 - 1951) L Camp Lilienthal Symbol (Fairfax location), San Francisco Council (1928 - 1973) R Camp Royaneh symbol, San Francisco Council (1925 - Present) Camp Lilienthal (Stern Grove location) Symbol, San Francisco Council (1919 - 1925)
BACK
NEXT
Boy Scouts of America, San Francisco Bay Area Council • 1001 Davis Street, San Leandro, CA 94577-1514, (510) 577-9000  |  Contact Webmaster
Camp Royaneh
Timeline
1925 - Present
Boy Scouts of America, San Francisco Bay Area Council • 1001 Davis Street, San Leandro, CA 94577-1514, (510) 577-9000

Timeline

Description

1925, 04/15

Watson Ranch in Cazadero is purchased by the SFC for use as a summer camp.  Charles Watson will remain at the ranch as the caretaker.

1925, 05/01

George Hart from SF Troop 54 wins competion for submitting the name of Royaneh for the new camp.

1925, 06/24

Camp Royaneh opens as the new summer training camp for the SFC

1927

First Pigeongram sent from Royaneh to Council Headquarters in San Francisco

1928

Charles Watson, son of Sarah Watson (original owner of land) and first caretaker of camp property dies

1934

Clarks Grove is dedicated at Camp Royaneh

1937

Raymond O Hansen Retires from SF Council

1938, 04/13

Camp Royaneh is renamed in honor of the second San Francisco Council President (Charles C Moore).  Camp CC Moore is name is used until 1951.

1939

East Austin Creek is dammed for the first time to create a new swimming hole (affectionately known as Roman’s Plunge)

1939

Bar H Ranch opens at Camp Royaneh.  This is the first time horsemanship is offered at Royaneh.

1940, 04/20

Knights of Dunamis Grove is dedicated at Camp Royaneh in honor of its founder, San Francisco Scout Exec Raymond O. Hanson.

1944, 07/01

Chief Raymond O Hanson, first Scout Exec of the San Francisco Council and founder of the Knights of Dunamis, dies in Los Angeles after a long illness

1948

Nick Schneider becomes Caretaker/Ranger at Royaneh.

1951

The name of the Camp changes from Camp Moore back to Camp Royaneh.

1951

Swimming pool is built for approximately $30,000 and dedicated to Lucie Stern.  Walter Hass anonamously provided the funding for the new pool.  Before the pool was built, swimming took place down at the creek when a seasonal dam was put in place

1953

Jim Wilkins becomes ranger at Camp Royaneh (1953 - 1976)

1953

Admin Building at Royaneh is dedicated to Raymond O Hanson

1953

Maintenance and Storage shed built next to Rangers Cabin on bluff

1954

60 foot well is sunk next to East Austin creek to provide pure water for the camp courtesy of Walter Haas.  Previously the water for the camp was drawn directly from the creek.

1954

Former parade grounds graded for use as Parking Lot and new Rangers Cabin

1954, 06/10

Rangers Cabin is constructed next to parking area courtesy of Walter Haas

1954, 09/03

57 acres of additional land is purchased at Royaneh courtesy of Walter Haas

1958

Thunderbird becomes the new Royaneh mascot and logo replacing the Indian Chief

1958, 11/24

Canoe base recreation hall is constructed (60’ x 40’) courtesy of Walter Haas.  It includes a kitchen, laundry area, fireplace, toilets and showers,

1960

Family camp recreation building dedicated at Royaneh.  This was used for families of scoutmasters with troops in camp.

1961

Barn and Corral are dedicated.  Prior to the Corral the area was formerly used as the Archery range for the camp.

1963, 10/11

Sherwood J Hall of Las Vegas donates 16 acres of land near Russian Gulch to the San Francisco Council

1964, 06/24

Russian Gulch outpost camp is used for the first time.  The 16 acre property was donated to the council earlier in the year.  

1969, 05/07

Additional 127 acres is purchased at Camp Royaneh known as the Schneider property.  The land is adjacent to the camp property along East Austin creek

1976, 03/30

New sewage treatment facility installed on lower portion of property

1978

500 Gallon underground gas tank installed near rangers house for use in fueling camp vehicles

1978

Camp Royaneh, 12,000 acre fire burns Russian Gulch outpost site and close to camp

1978, 03/09

Old cabin across from amphitheater is burnt down due to being “unfit” for human occupancy

1982

Redwood tree from the Clark’s Grove falls during a storm and crushes the main support beam of the original 1920’s dinning hall forcing the dinning hall to be demolished.  

1982

Quonset hut at Royaneh is used as the temporary dinning hall until the new one is completed

1984

New Royaneh dinning hall is completed in time for summer operations.

1985, 07/24

Dedication ceremonies held for new dinning hall

1986

Old Storage Shed removed at parking log, 500 gallon underground gas tank removed due to non use

1988

Bill Heinze becomes ranger at Royaneh (1988-2000)

1988

Original Rangers cabin built in 1954 is torn down

1988, 10/12

New 1600 sq ft Ranger cabin installed, “Baywood II”

1989, 08/10

Damming of Austin Creek is prohibited due to endangered shrimp which forced the closure of the Canoe base operations.

1992

New pool house is constructed to replace original wooden pool house built in 1951

2000

Scott Griswold becomes ranger at Camp Royaneh (2000 - Present)

2007

Pool and Pool decking are redone at Royaneh

2008

New septic and water systems installed at Royaneh.

2010

New Rangers Cabin is built to replace Baywood trailer that had been used

2011

New Stage is built at Royaneh to replace the old stage.  The new one is twice the size of the old stage.



Miscellaneous Fun Facts