San Francisco Council Patch, (c 1950)
San Francisco Bay Area Council History
B
S
A
B
S
A
Home. Oakland Area Council. San Francisco Council. San Francisco Bay Area Council. Order of the Arrow. Miscellaneous. About Us / Comments. SFBAC Home Los Mochos Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1945 - Present) Camp Loomer Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1957 - 1973) Wente Scout Reservation Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1959 - Present) Camp Dimond-O Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1926 - 1978) Camp Dimond Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1919 - 1949) TC San Francisco Training Camp symbol, San Francisco Council (1917 - 1924) M Camp Moore symbol, San Francisco Council (1938 - 1951) L Camp Lilienthal Symbol (Fairfax location), San Francisco Council (1928 - 1973) R Camp Royaneh symbol, San Francisco Council (1925 - Present) Camp Lilienthal (Stern Grove location) Symbol, San Francisco Council (1919 - 1925)
BACK
NEXT
Boy Scouts of America, San Francisco Bay Area Council • 1001 Davis Street, San Leandro, CA 94577-1514, (510) 577-9000  |  Contact Webmaster
Royaneh Lodge #282
History
1944 - 1964
(Founded November 1944, Chartered February 1945, Merged December 1964) Royaneh Lodge Flap (c 1958) Pictures Order of the Arrow

On November 29, 1944 at the monthly executive board meeting held at the San Francisco Council office at 105 Montgomery street, a motion was made by board member William Wollner and approved by the board to apply for a national charter to form an Order of the Arrow lodge.  Mr Wollner indicated that there would be a chapter at both Camp Lilienthal and Camp Moore (formerly Camp Royaneh) and made up of honor campers.  The chapter at Camp Lilienthal would be known as the “Lawat” tribe and the chapter at Camp Moore (Royaneh) would be known as the “Maidu” tribe.  The purpose of the Order of the Arrow as stated at the meeting was for Camp promotions.  The application fee for the Order of the Arrow charter was $10.00.  Royaneh Lodge became an official Order of the Arrow Lodge of Section 12-B on February 25, 1945 when National approved it’s charter.  All persons who held membership in the lodge prior to Feb 25, 1945 were known as Charter Members.


Arthur Myer, the first eagle scout in California and a member of the San Francisco Council helped organize the new lodge.  Six years early in 1938 the council had renamed Camp Royaneh to Camp Moore in honor of Charles C Moore, the former President of the San Francisco Council.  During this timeframe from 1938 until the early 1950’s, the San Francisco council simply referred to their two permanent Scout camps (Moore and Lilienthal) as “Royaneh camps” .  Because the new lodge would have chapters at both Scout camps, the name chosen for the new lodge was “Royaneh” to reflect the reference that the council used in 1944 for their camps.  Royaneh Lodge was not named after Camp Royaneh as many have suggested as it technically did not exist in the 1940’s.


The name Royaneh though came about in March of 1925 when SF Scout Executive Raymond O Hanson held a competition among the scouts to name their new summer camp in Cazadero.  A scout by the name of George HartFirst patch of the Royaneh Lodge, c 1946 from San Francisco Troop 54 won the competition by submitting the name “Royaneh” for the new camp.  George indicated that the meaning of the word “Royaneh” came from the Iroquois Indians that meant “camp of joy” or “Meeting place of the tribes”.  So the best translation, based on the interpretation of the boy that came up with the name Royaneh and also used for Royaneh Lodge Order of the Arrow means “Meeting Place of the Tribes” .  According to the Royaneh bylaws the totem used by Royaneh Lodge was a yellow arrowhead with the blue profile of an Indian centered upon it.  This totem is similar to the Indian head which was also used at both Camp Moore and Camp Lilienthal at that same time.  The Indian head patch used at the two camps though was a left facing Indian head, but the Indian head used by Royaneh lodge would be a right facing Indian Head (possibly to distinguish it from the camp or the OA saying “it is only right”).


The “Royanehan” was the newsletter of Royaneh lodge and was first published in February of 1945 when the lodge received its charter. Documents from 1949 indicated that the lodge held five conclaves (lodge gatherings) each year.  The fall Business Conclave was held in October, the camp promotion Conclave was held in November, the annual banquet was held in January, the Camp Kick-Off Conclave was held in May and the Order of the Arrow day was held in July up at Camp Moore/Royaneh.  Two of the five conclaves were social gatherings (Banquet & OA day) where lodge business could not be conducted.


In January of 1952, Royaneh Lodge had the honor of inducting a new lodge into the Order of the Arrow during ceremonies held at Camp Lilienthal in Marin County.  Thirty seven arrowmen from the Mt Diablo Council were inducted into the order of the arrow for a new lodge that would be known as OO-Yum-Buli lodge 468 (merged with Swegedaiga #263 in 1994 to form Ut-in Selica Lodge 58).  


In 1953, Ed Dike was the first person in Royaneh Lodge history to be honored with the Distinguished Service Award which is the highest honor that the national Order of the Arrow can bestow upon a member.  Ed Dike was the nature director at Camp Moore/Camp Royaneh for many years as well as being a leader with Royaneh Lodge.  Five years later in 1958 Royaneh Lodge would dedicate the new Chiefs Room at Camp Royaneh in his honor.  That same year, lodge chief Ross Heil designed the first Royaneh Lodge pocket patch known as the F1.  Up until that time neckerchiefs with patches indicated membership in the Royaneh lodge.  Ross Heil would later become the section chief in 1960.


Twenty years after it was formed, the last official business of Royaneh Lodge took place on December 13 of 1964, when a joint banquet and business meeting was held at Goodman’s restaurant in Jack London Square in Oakland to discuss and officially merge the two lodges associated with the recently merged Oakland Area Council and the San Francisco Council.  Royaneh Lodge 282 was officially retired at this meeting however its lodge number would be used for the new as of yet “unnamed” combined lodge.  Machek N’Gult Lodge 375 was also officially retired at this same meeting and its lodge number removed from the National charter of Order of the Arrow Lodges.  

Boy Scouts of America, San Francisco Bay Area Council • 1001 Davis Street, San Leandro, CA  94577-1514, (510) 577-9000 | Contact Webmaster