Oakland Area Council Patch (c 1950)
San Francisco Bay Area Council History
B
S
A
B
S
A
Home. Oakland Area Council. San Francisco Council. San Francisco Bay Area Council. Order of the Arrow. Miscellaneous. About Us / Comments.
SFBAC Home
Los Mochos Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1945 - Present) Camp Loomer Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1957 - 1973) Wente Scout Reservation Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1959 - Present) Camp Dimond-O Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1926 - 1978) Camp Dimond Symbol, Oakland Area Council (1919 - 1949)
TC
San Francisco Training Camp symbol, San Francisco Council (1917 - 1924)
M
Camp Moore symbol, San Francisco Council (1938 - 1951)
L
Camp Lilienthal Symbol (Fairfax location), San Francisco Council (1928 - 1973) R Camp Royaneh symbol, San Francisco Council (1925 - Present) Camp Lilenthal Symbol, San Francisco Council (1919-1925)
L
Camp Lilienthal (Stern Grove location) Symbol, San Francisco Council (1919 - 1925)
BACK
NEXT
Boy Scouts of America, San Francisco Bay Area Council • 1001 Davis Street, San Leandro, CA 94577-1514, (510) 577-9000  |  Contact Webmaster

Timeline

Description

1959, 06/26

After a two year search led by Malcolm Storm, Oakland Board member William Gilmore moved and Paul Ehret seconded a motion that the Council purchase the Foley Ranch in Willits for use as Scout Reservation

1963, 06/21

Dedication Ceremony is held at Willits Scout Ranch for dam construction

1963, 10/01

Dam is completed at Scout Reservation, flood gates are closed

1964, 04/12

First ever Scout Swim takes place at Willits Scout Reservation in the expanding, but not yet full lake.

1964, 07

First summer camp is held at Wente Scout Reservation

1965

The waterfront Tower is dedicated at WSR

1965, 04/01

The lake at the Scout Reservation is now full and water is overflowing the dam for the first time due to heavy winter rains.

1966

Julian House becomes ranger at Willits Scout Reservation (1966–1968)

1966

Scout Lake is planted with trout by Fish and Game.

1966, 12/01

Members of Mission Peak district purchase 1000 Trout for stocking at Willits Lake

1969

Jerry McDonald becomes ranger at Willits Scout Reservation (1969 - 1971)

1969

WSR, 160 acres from the Mace property is purchased for $70K making the scout reservation a total of 2110 acres.

1970

Jasper Steele becomes ranger at Willits Scout Reservation (1970-1978)

1971

New commissary/trading post building built at Wente.  The original commissary is turned into a warehouse for 35 years until it is redesigned as the Handicraft building

1974

First hike from WSR to Fort Bragg

1977

Kaliama trail developed by Joe Clopton and Kevin Clevenger at Willits

1977, 11/16

Meeting is held to discuss changing name of Willits Scout Reservation to Wente Scout Reservation in honor of the Carl F. Wente.

1978

Al Robinson becomes ranger at Wente Scout Reservation (1978 – 1998)

1979, 05/06

Willits Scout Reservation rededicated as Wente Scout Reservation in honor of San Francisco Council board member and banker Carl F. Wente

1980

Family Camp area is constructed, the old medics cabin is torn down

1982, 04/01

New 100,000 Gal metal water tank replaces original redwood tank

1984

Logging operations at camp to thin growth of larger trees.  1.4 million board feet of lumber is cut of Douglas Fir and Ponderosa Pine.

1989, 10/01

Covered dinning structure is built adjacent to the commissary.  Commissary is enlarged and trading post is moved to admin building.  Admin building no longer used as staff dinning hall.

1998

Bill Heinze becomes ranger at Wente Scout Reservation (1998-2002)

1999

Well is sunk at top of Eagle Summit for camp water supply

1999

Richard Palfreyman Shower house is built at Wente

2002

Ken Pederson becomes ranger at Wente Scout Reservation (2002 - 2006)

2005

The Lodge is built at Wente though donations by Mark Mcquire

2006

John Tolman becomes ranger at Wente Scout Reservation (2006 - Present)

2008

Dinning hall is enclosed at Wente, old Madrone shower house is torn down and new Madrone shower house is built, new septic system installed, Tower rebuilt, staff cabins installed

2009, 10/01

Old admin building is torn down and new admin building is erected in the same location.  Unisex bathrooms are added to end of commissary building

2010, 06/01

New campsite developed at Wente.  Site 14 called Dimond (in honor of Camp Dimond and Dimond-O), holds 12 people.  Located on hill between 12 O’clock High and Turkeys Roost.





Boy Scouts of America, San Francisco Bay Area Council • 1001 Davis Street, San Leandro, CA 94577-1514, (510) 577-9000
Fun Facts
Wente Scout Reservation
Timeline
1959 - Present
Miscellaneous Willits Scout Reservation Patch (c 1964)